Children in Collindale
Children’s dental care in Colindale
For further protection, fissure sealant can be applied to your child’s permanent teeth as they emerge (usually starting around age six to seven). This is a clear plastic coating which covers the narrow grooves on the chewing surfaces of the back teeth to stop bacteria from entering and help prevent tooth decay. In addition, fluoride varnishes can be painted onto young teeth to help strengthen enamel and make them more resistant to decay.
As well as regular visits to the dentist, you also need to look after your child’s teeth at home. Check out the following oral health care tips for little ones:
- Start dental care early by gently wiping new teeth (and gums) with a clean flannel. As more teeth come through, you can start using a soft toothbrush and a smear of toothpaste, and at age three to six, you can progress to a pea-sized amount of paste.
- Brush your child’s teeth for around two minutes, twice a day, and especially before bedtime. Encourage them to brush for long enough by introducing a child-friendly timer.
- Supervise tooth brushing until children are old enough to brush properly by themselves (at around seven or eight years). However, even when they can clean their teeth alone, it’s probably a good idea to occasionally check they are still using an effective technique.
- When children are around three to four years old, introduce them to flossing as their teeth will be starting to touch each other and the resulting narrow gaps will need an effective method of cleaning.
- Keep an eye on how much sugar your child is consuming, in both food and drink, and avoid prolonged periods of bottle feeding, particularly at night.
A combination of regular visits to the dentist from a young age, developing a good dental care routine at home and encouraging a healthy diet will help keep your child’s teeth in great condition for life.
Children are treated free of charge*.
*Parents must be patients of the practice.
- Free consultation with our Treatment Co-ordinator
- Friendly, professional & welcoming team
- Flexible appointment times
- Interest Free Finance to help spread the cost